Mozambique: PM calls on prisons chief to reduce overcrowding, improve conditions
Lusa (File photo)
Mozambique police insisted today that they had acted in the country’s “best interests” in raiding Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama’s houses and Renamo headquarters in Maputo, not mentioning the lack of a court order supporting the action.
“The police acted in the best interests of the peace and security of Mozambicans, responding to a popular complaint,” police spokesman Inacio Dina said at thecorporation’s weekly press conference in Maputo.
On Sunday, Renamo accused the police of breaking into two residences owned by its leader and the organization’s headquarters in Maputo. Mozambican authorities say the action was aimed at the seizure of military equipment and that they had confiscated 47 weapons during the operation.
Without mentioning the lack of the court order required by legislation, Inacio Dina said that the action was intended “only to ensure the security of Mozambican citizens”, claiming that there was evidence that the firearms seized were being used against civilians.
“There is no clause in the Comprehensive Peace Agreement which says that Renamo may use weapons against civilians,” the police spokesman said.
In the Renamo statement released on Sunday, Afonso Dhlakama’s party says it was surprised at the “invasion and burglary” of two homes and the party’s headquarters in Maputo, while admitting that the Mozambican police had seized 20 AK-47s and arrested two guards at Dhlakama’s family home.
The statement adds that during an operation at another of Dhlakama’s properties, the police seized 85,500 meticais (1,467 euros) meant for the purchase of food, and at the party’s headquarters in the centre of the capital, confiscated another 200,000 meticais (3,433 euros), a computer and two AK-47s.
This version is contradicted by the police, who contest the monetary value of the seizures, and say that the operation lasted about an hour, and that “no force” has been used.
The Renamo statement said that its leader would react only politically, as the civil war had been brought to a close 24 years ago with the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in 1992.
This is the second time in less than a year that the Mozambican police have launched operations at the Renamo leader’s residence without presenting a warrant, having admitted that last year’s operation in Beira was carried out without a court order.
“We respect the law, but in this case it was an action to collect weapons that were illegally in other people’s hands and were creating a situation of insecurity,” a police spokesman said at the time.
The political crisis in Mozambique has worsened in recent weeks, with several attacks attributed to the armed wing of the largest opposition party.
Clashes between the defence and security forces and the armed wing of the main opposition party have caused an unknown number of deaths, as well as sending a wave of refugees into neighbouring Malawi.
Renamo continues to maintain it will seize power in the six provinces where it claims victory in the general elections in 2014, accusing ruling party Frelimo of having committed electoral fraud.
Leave a Reply
Be the First to Comment!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.