Mozambique: Terrorists murder four in Ancuabe village - AIM report
File photo: Notícias
The Balama District Administrator, Edson Lino, said on Thursday (04-08) that the 39 young men arrested the previous day on suspicion of being on their way to terrorist bases, are in fact employees of a logging company called MINT, which has had a valid exploration license for the region for two years.
Edson Lino dismissed all suspicions, raised since noon on Wednesday, that the young men had been recruited in Nampula and Niassa provinces to join terrorists in the district.
Lino explained that what caught the attention of the residents who reported the group to the Defence and Security Forces was the fact that the company had not communicated the start of its activities to the authorities.
“They tried to go to the bush to cut wood without presenting themselves to the local authorities,” Lino said, adding that everything had now been resolved.
He admitted that there was disquiet in the district headquarters village on Wednesday afternoon, but said that the situation was now calm and that everyday life, such as agricultural marketing, was proceeding without disturbance.
Despite this, because of ongoing insecurity in Cabo Delgado and the expansion of terrorism to the south of the province, the administrator urged the population to remain vigilant and report to the FDS and the government anything which might disturb public order and tranquillity.