Gemfields reports positive auction results, mining operations in Mozambique remain unaffected by ...
Photo: @daniel_chapo24/X
Mozambique’s President Daniel Chapo has met with Patrick Pouyanne, the chief executive of TotalEnergies, to discuss the company’s stalled $20 billion liquefied natural gas project in the southern African country.
Mozambique LNG, which had been slated to restart construction by the end of 2024 and begin producing gas in 2029, saw that deadline slip when the French oil major last week confirmed that force majeure had yet to be lifted on the project, due to security concerns and pending export credit approvals.
“During the conversation, Pouyanne reaffirmed TotalEnergies’ commitment to resuming the project, currently suspended since 2021, due to security challenges in the region,” Chapo said in a post on X.
Chapo said Mozambique, reeling from months of post-election unrest, acknowledged the importance of the Cabo Delgado project for the country’s growth prospects.
“Efforts are therefore being made to ensure the necessary stability for its implementation,” Chapo said.
Nesta Segunda-feira, 27.01, conversámos com o CEO da TotalEnergies, Patrick Pouyanné, com o qual discutimos sobre o progresso e o compromisso da empresa com o desenvolvimento do projecto de Gás Natural Liquefeito (LNG) em Cabo Delgado.
Durante a conversa, Pouyanné reafirmou o… pic.twitter.com/kyarZCoJ9k
— Presidente Daniel Chapo (@daniel_chapo24) January 27, 2025
Leave a Reply
Be the First to Comment!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.