Mozambique: Six arrested over alleged trafficking, abuse of Vietnamese citizen
File photo: Anti-Raptos Beira
A Mozambican businessman of Pakistani origin was kidnapped this morning in the city of Matola, Maputo province, southern Mozambique, a source from the National Criminal Investigation Service (SERNIC) told Lusa today.
The businessman, aged 39 and owner of a sweets factory in Machava, was kidnapped near the`Burako da Velha` restaurant, at around 10:00 local time, Samussone Mahumane, spokesperson for SERNIC in Maputo province, told Lusa.
“I don’t have any more details [about the kidnapping] yet,” said the spokesperson, after being asked about the circumstances in which the crime occurred and the number of people who kidnapped the businessman.
On Friday, SERNIC announced the arrest of a man suspected of involvement in the kidnapping of two businessmen in Maputo, one of whom was a Portuguese national, who had since been rescued on the 13th.
The man, arrested on Wednesday in the city of Matola, outskirts of Maputo, is the person who allegedly rented the residence used as a hideout for the businessmen and it is suspected that the same house has been used in other kidnapping cases that have occurred since 2022.
Around 150 business people have been kidnapped in Mozambique in the last 12 years and a hundred have left the country out of fear, according to figures released in July by the Confederation of Economic Associations of Mozambique (CTA), which argues that it is time for the Government to say “enough is enough”.
Mozambican police have registered a total of 185 cases of kidnappings up to March and at least 288 people have been arrested on suspicion of involvement in this type of crime since 2011, Interior Minister Pascoal Ronda previously announced.
Leave a Reply
Be the First to Comment!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.