Watch: Touring Maputo markets in times of coronavirus
File photo: DW
Mozambican police have detained six alleged guerrillas from Renamo’s self-proclaimed “Military Junta”, who were preparing for an attack in Zambezia province. The corporation says it is prepared to protect citizens.
Police say they are ready to combat the armed men who have been carrying out attacks in central Mozambique. Since August, 10 people have died in the attacks, and last week President Filipe Nyusi promised that the state would hunt down those responsible.
Timóteo Bernardo, Deputy General Commander of the Police of the Republic of Mozambique, told a press conference in Quelimane on Thursday (21/11) that the corporation has already set to work.
“We received a command from our commanded- in-chief, the President of the Republic, to take action in order to ensure the pacification of the country,” he said.
Arrested alleged guerrillas
On Wednesday, police detained six alleged guerrillas from Renamo’s self-proclaimed “Military Junta”. The largest opposition party splinter group is led by Mariano Nhongo.
One of the detainees, suspected of belonging to the “Military Junta”, Carlos L., told the press that he was ordered by Nhongo to recruit guerrillas in Zambezia province.
“I left Gorongosa and headed to Zambezia, deployed by General Mariano Nhongo to recruit youths to set up a barrack in Zambezia. I managed to recruit 18 youths, but because I was captured I could not complete the target of 50 youths to start attacks here in Zambezia,” the suspect said.
DW could not independently verify this information.
This week Mariano Nhongo said he was available to negotiate with the Mozambican government to end violence in the centre of the country, threatening renewed action if the executive refused to talk.
PRM guarantees protection
The “Military Junta” rejects the leadership of Ossufo Momade and wants to renegotiate the Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) process under the Peace Agreement signed in August between Momade and the Mozambican government.
Responding to attacks in the centre of the country, President Filipe Nyusi last week stressed that “there is no more room for war”.
Deputy Commander-General Bernardo however guarantees the protection of citizens.
“We have all seen the cessation of hostilities in Gorongosa. The Defence and Security Forces in general, and the Police of the Republic of Mozambique in particular, have deployed measures to protect people and goods, and have also been deployed to assure the free movement of people and goods.”Source: Deutsche Welle
JUST IN | India: Goa resident tests positive, has travel history to Mozambique, Kenya