Mozambique has reinforced routine checks, not set up Ebola screening checkpoints - MISAU
On Saturday 13th October, WaterAid Mozambique hosted the 2nd Edition of Eu Corro Pela Agua Para Todos (I Run for Water for Everyone), a 10K run and 5K walk to celebrate Global Hand Wash Day and raise funds to bring clean water to the community of Mulinda in Niassa Province.
The event was a great success, despite the rain, with over 520 registered participants, ranging from age 4 to 71, of diverse nationalities – USA, Canada, Italy, Portugal, France, UK, Netherlands, Sweden and Vietnam to name just a few – from local elite athletes to recreational runners and walkers, families and teams of friends, colleagues and companies.
The winners of the 10K race were as follows: Female general category – 1st place Katie Roche; 2nd place Olga Bata, 3rd place Victoria Joaquim; Male general category – 1st place Assumane Aide, 2nd place Antonio Duneto Nhamutole, 3rd place Max Winchenbach; Female “federado” category – 1st place Zeferina Marinho, 2nd place Veronica Jose, 3rd place Deolinda João; Male “federado” category: 1st place Albertino Mamba, Donaldo Machava, Bento Gervasio.
The event raised 79% of the funds needed to build a new borehole for the community of Mulinda in Niassa Province. The construction will go ahead in 2019, and WaterAid has launched a crowdfunding appeal in order to reach the remaining 21% of funds needed. https://us.wateraid.org/Mozambique.
Up until now, this community of 146 families has been relying on dirty river water as its only water source. The new borehole will improve sanitation, reduce the health risks the community is facing from unsafe water, and also improve educational opportunities, especially the girls who are currently spending many hours travelling to and from the river to collect water each day.
The event was generously sponsored by Agua da Namaacha, DP World, Hollard Seguros, Norconsult, Uni-Span, MMO (Mozambique Managed Offices) and Hotel Terminus. Partners included Club of Mozambique, LM Radio, AACM (Associação de Atletismo da Cidade de Maputo), Maputo Relocation, Tropigalia, CCFM (Centro Cultural Franco Moçambicano), MediPlus, AEISEC, AEFUM, Adedar, Output, Planet Travel & Tours and WICO Consultoría e Serviços. Prizes were kindly donated by the Polana Serena Hotel, Hotel Avenida, Hotel Terminus, Cardoso Hotel, Mundos, Sagres, Meat & Ocean Co., Campo De Fiori, Cotur Travel, Dana Travel, Tsamadhi Equestrian Centre and Natural Care Saúde & Nutrição.
WaterAid would like to thank all sponsors, partners, volunteers, participants and donors for their support of the cause and participation We hope you will join us again next time!
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organization, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation. WaterAid has a presence in 28 countries, and began its Mozambique programme in 1995 www.wateraid.org/mozambique; www.facebook.com/wateraidmoz
Did you know?
Mozambican National Press: Government Gazette goes digital
Cabo Delgado: No confirmed typhoid fever cases in Pemba
Spain's Queen Letizia lands in Mozambique - Watch
Obituary: Roberto Galante, 1956-2019