Mozambique: Access constraints as of 20 March 2019 - Download PDF
File photo: DW
Six bodies were found in the woods of Cabo Delgado on Sunday, sources from the Pundanhar community in Palma district have told Lusa.
The victims, all adult men, had gone into the woods to hunt, and their bodies showed signs of machete attack.
Pundanhar is the seat of an administrative post 50 kilometres from the district headquarters, Palma, to the west and inland, and only accessible by dirt road.
Residents suspect that the six men clashed with the group that has been attacking remote villages in Cabo Delgado for a year now, in a wave of violence that has killed about 100 people, including civilians and soldiers as well as alleged assailants.
This suspicion is based on the fact that it is rare to find anyone other than community members in the area, residents told Lusa.
Contacted by Lusa, the police source declined to comment on the matter.
Violence in Cabo Delgado has gained visibility since an armed attack on police in Mocimboa da Praia in October 2017, in which two agents were killed by a group from a local mosque preaching insurgency against the state, whose habits had been a source of friction with residents for at least two years.
Since Mocimboa da Praia, the attacks have always occurred far from asphalt roads and well away from the infrastructure of petroleum companies exploiting natural gas in the Afungi peninsula in Palma.Source: Lusa