UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Orlando Bloom visits children displaced by Cyclone Idai in Mozambique
Mozambique’s National Criminal Investigation Service (Sernic) said Thursday that the case of journalist Ericino de Salema, abducted and beaten in March, remains under active investigation, and more information would be forthcoming in due course.
“Investigations are underway and we will, in due time, look into this issue,” Sernic’s spokesman Leonardo Simbined told a news conference. “We are investigating,” he added.
Ericino de Salema was kidnapped by unknown individuals as he was leaving the National Union of Journalists (SNJ), where he had been having lunch. He was severely beaten on the legs before being dumped near Maputo Ring Road, where local residents found him and took him to hospital.
Mozambican police have yet to announce any arrests in the case.
Salema worked with several newspapers and news outlets but had recently been linked to non-governmental organisations working in strengthening civil society and promoting freedom of expression and freedom of the press.
At the time of his kidnapping and aggression, Ericino de Salema was a commentator on the STV programme “Pontos de Vista” [“Points of View”].
In 2016, José Macuane, a Mozambican political scientist and, at the time, commentator on the same programme, was shot in the legs by persons unknown and abandoned in almost the same place after being kidnapped near his Maputo home.
Catalisa, an Anadarko Project, trains 100 Young People in Palma
Ignazio Cassis visits Swiss projects in cyclone-stricken Mozambique
First graduation ceremony of the Field Ready Mozambique program