Mozambique: ND election monitors remain illegally jailed - AIM report
in file CoM
Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique (October 11, 2019)
Location: Areas North of Pemba in Cabo Delgado Province, Xai Xai in Gaza Province, and Nampula City in Nampula Province
Event: National elections will take place in Mozambique on Tuesday, October 15, 2019. The campaign season has been marked by a recent increase in tensions, including some political violence. While the U.S. Embassy expects the elections to be relatively calm throughout most of the country and recognises the Government of the Republic of Mozambique is working diligently to ensure elections are safe and orderly, we remind U.S. citizens to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Due to ongoing extremist violence in districts north of Pemba, Cabo Delgado Province, recent violence against civil society groups in Xai Xai, Gaza Province, and credible threats in Nampula City, Nampula Province, the embassy encourages U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to these areas.
Actions for U.S. Citizens to Take:
• U.S. citizens should avoid polling stations and government buildings on election day;
• Monitor local media for updates;
• Review your personal security plans; and
• Avoid demonstrations and unexpected crowds.
• U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
+258 21 49 2797
+258 21 49 0723 (after hours)
• U.S State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 / 202-501-4444
• Mozambique Country Information
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.Source: U.S. Embassy in Mozambique
Government restricts new gas stations in provincial capitals and four main roads in ...