Renamo denounces violence which "calls into question" Mozambique Peace Agreement
File photo: SAPO
Mozambique’s minister of interior on Thursday said the government would do everything possible to disarm the main opposition party Renamo before the next electoral campaign in October.
“As requested by the population, the president [Filipe Nyusi] aims for this to be concluded in a short period of time, before the start of the campaign”, Jaime Basílio Monteiro said during a meeting with the ruling party Frelimo, in the province of Zambézia, in the centre of the country.
Basílio Monteiro said there were challenges ahead but that the government’s purpose was to quickly conclude the negotiating process with Mozambique’s main opposition party.
The disarmament of Renamo’s armed wing is included in a memorandum of understanding signed in August last year between Mozambique’s president and the leader of Renamo, Ossufo Momade.
The general elections in Mozambique are scheduled for 15 October.Source: Lusa