"People displaced by terrorism had no formal command to return to their homes”
Photo: O País
Cabo Delgado governor Valige Tauabo claims that there have been no recent massacres in anywhere in the province, contrary to reports in the national and international press, and that the last massacre took place on April 6 of this year.
The government is concerned about the spread of armed violence in Cabo Delgado, Governor Tauabo said in response to reports inside and outside the country that, over the past week, more than 50 people had been kidnapped and beheaded in the village of Muatide, iMuidumbe district, on a “football pitch turned into killing field”.
Tauabo explained that it is known that “there are incursions by evildoers”, now being pursued by the Defence and Security Forces with the aim of their neutralisation and presentation to the authorities.
The only massacre recorded in Cabo Delgado since acts of terrorism started in October 2017, occurred in Xitaxi village, Muidumbe district, earlier this year.
“The massacre of 53 youths took place on April 6th. This is in the province’s memory as one of the worst massacres in the incursions of these terrorists,” the governor of Cabo Delgado clarified, adding that the massacre resulted from the victims offered “resistance to joining the ranks of the armed group”.
The governor said that “the incursions by terrorists continue”.
“This is a reality, and the government is concerned. Residents”, when they hear that the armed group is “in a certain area, are not at peace and leave their homes,” he says. “This concerns us a lot, because, in fact, these incursions by terrorists are causing a lot of physical and moral damage,” as terrorists “set fire to houses, destroy public goods and cause mourning”.
According to the government, despite the spread of terrorist attacks and the isolation of some parts of the provinces, no territory is under the control of the armed group.
“Nobody has ever occupied a district. What is happening is that, in fact, residents have left” their communities, the provincial governor said, while also confirming some attacks in Mueda district.
By Hizidine Achá