Mozambique willing to boost cooperation with Russia, China - TASS
Photo: Frelimo Tete Facebook
Mozambique’s president, Filipe Nyusi, has said that the authorities are continuing their search for the armed men who have carried out attacks on isolated settlements in Cabo Delgado in the north of the country.
“We still do not know who is behind these attacks,” said Filipe Nyusi. “We are continuing to look for them.”
The head of state was speaking on Monday at a rally in Chiuta district, in the province of Tete, in central Mozambique, where he was on a work visit.
The president also called for residents in the affected areas to remain vigilant, recalling the groups’ attempts to recruit local youths.
“They deceive the young with false promises,” he said. “When we catch their leader we shall inform the people.”
Remote villages in Cabo Delgado, between 1,500km and 2,000km north of Maputo, have been sacked and burned in a series of raids carried out since October last year, resulting in an unknown number of deaths and driving thousands from their homes.
The attackers have never made any demands nor are their intentions known, but researchers suggest that the violence is linked to the trafficking of heroin, ivory, rubies and timber.
The attacks are taking place at a time when oil companies’ investments in natural gas in the region are moving ahead, but have not so far crossed into the area set aside for these projects.Source: Lusa