Just in: Attack on Renamo 'Military Junta' base in Central Mozambique - Nhongo
Macomia. Photo: Pinnacle News
COE Information CD 26.04.2019
1. Macomia e Mocimboa da Praia: Winds have been recorded at 140 kmh gusting up to 160 kmh.
2. Cyclone Kenneth weakened to a low pressure system with winds below about 80 kmh gusting to 100 kmh. Rain is expected until the beginning of Saturday (27 April) afternoon.
3. Mueda recorded 194mm of rain in 24 hours, Ibo 130mm and other districts between 50-80mm.
4. Messalo basin: water levels have remained steady, with the Megaruma and Rovuma basins still below alert level.
5. Great destruction in Macomia. The bank and gas station destroyed, many houses destroyed, administrative buildings partially destroyed, so far without casualties. People have taken refuge on balconies. The ceiling of the penitentiary collapsed, but without causing injury.
6. IBO reports about 90% of the homes in the headquarters village destroyed, including the official residence, which is without a roof. Approximately 15,000 people have been left in the open and the accommodation centres overcrowded. There is an acute need for tents, food and water.
7. Palma: traditional dwelling were destroyed and four boats sunk, but without injury to person.
8. Mocimboa: Damage is yet to be reported.
9. Pemba: one woman was killed by a falling coconut palm ( in the neighbourhood of Ingonane), and one child injured falling from a school window, now receiving medical attention.
10. Muidumbe: two houses in were damaged, one severely.
11. Quissanga: one house is reported destroyed.
12. Hundreds of people have taken refuge in places of safety and and are being assisted, but cooking pots, sanitation, and water are needed. Some people are already starting to return to their homes.
13. Destruction of 4 rooms partially in the city of PEMBA;
14. On access roads there are still no significant impacts, only in Metuge but passage is still assured (there are no changes in the overall picture);Source: COE