Watch: Mozambican president calls for post-election peace, solidarity
The National Defence Minister, Atanasio Mtumuke, on Monday called on the population of the district of Macomia, in Cabo Delgado, to be on the lookout and report outsiders in the region to the authorities, so as to guarantee public safety.
Reported recent movement of unidentified armed men has been creating uneasiness in the local communities.
Speaking at a rally in Ilala, an administrative post in Quiterajo, Minister Mtumuke said that the more than 20 young people who disappeared three years ago, allegedly to join the unidentified rebel group, had not yet returned to Macomia, and their fate remained unclear.
Mtumuke also announced that a total of 200 women forced to cook for the insurgents had fled their captors after an assault by government forces in the Naneia region, the eighth carried out by the national army so far.
According to Radio Mozambique, two people were murdered by unidentified armed men in Quiterajo on the 16th of this month. One was by a young man from Ilala, Mtumuke said, calling for greater cooperation between the population and the defence and security forces.
At the time, Macomia residents called on the government to ensure their safety so that that harvesting of agricultural crops was not compromised.
Funded by Russia: Zimbabwe set to build 1.5 billion fuel pipeline, in partnership ...