Mozambique: Illegal immigration - watch
Photo: O País
Five men were shot dead on Thursday night, near the Michafutene cemetery, located 16 kilometres distant from the centre of Maputo city, in Marracuene district.
The five bodies were removed late last night, but there were still traces of the crime like empty bullet casings, blood and even fragments of flesh at the scene.
Witnesses who agreed to speak to O Pais anonymously described the shooting as like a war, adding that this was not the first time the Agostinho Neto neighbourhood had been woken by gunfire during the night.
Who these men were, remains to be ascertained,. The report seems to suggest that these murder victims were criminals themselves and “allegedly engaged in kidnappings and armed robberies”. O País cites “unofficial sources” as saying that the five alleged criminals would [also?] be “fugitives from the Machava Maximum Security Prison, commonly known as ‘BO'”.
Meanwhile, the police reportedly “confirmed the killing of five suspected criminals” and told the press that the five men would have been murdered “in a shootout between two gangs”.
However, Maputo province police was apparently unable to confirm whether or not the five victims were in fact ‘fugitives’ from Machava Maximum Security Prison and/or kidnappers and armed robbers. The PRM told O Pais that they were still trying to establish the identity of all the victims.
The five bodies were removed to the morgue of the Matola Provincial Hospital on Thursday night.
By José MacamoSource: O País
Mozambique may become one of the world's largest gold producers
Over a billion Cahora Bassa shares sold