SA xenophobia: Lack of documents postpones return of Mozambican victims
Two helicopters from Angola flying troops specialised in search and rescuing operations in difficult access areas reached Monday Maputo, Mozambique, Angola’s Health Minister Sílvia Lutucuta confirmed Monday.
The Minister also announced the arrival in Mozambique – hit by powerful tropical storm – of a fourth plane with 52 tons of goods (medicines and expendable supplies), two ambulances and four 4-wheel drive vehicles to ensure the mobility of the teams.
The teams are joining the delegation which has been in that country since 22 March to carry out a 30-day mission aimed to provide technical and medical assistance in the various health areas to cyclone-affected populations.
Earlier on Sunday, March 24, head of mission Sabino Dunguionga said that the Angolan humanitarian team made up by physicians and military personnel deployed in Beira were ready to start assisting the victims of the cyclone Idai-
The chief of the Angolan mission was speaking to the press following the allocation of more than two tonnes of hospital materials added to other 26 delivered to the Mozambican authorities.
“We are currently working with local teams to study the best way to integrate our staff into more affected areas, to provide assistance to the people in need”, said the Angolan military commander.
Besides the two tonnes of hospital materials, said the chief of the mission, a tank truck, mattresses, inflatable boats among other materials.
The team dispatched by the Angolan president, joaõ Lourenço, is made up of 100 people, among civilians and military people.
Mozambique’s cyclone death toll rose to 446 and left thousands homeless.