Mining & Energy
Mozambique eyes $5b extractive sector investment in 2019 – Official
Oil company Anadarko said today that the attack in which a worker of a Portuguese subcontractor in northern Mozambique died did not target natural gas investments in the region, Lusa reports.
The US company also said in a statement that in view of the Government’s guarantees – security has already been reinforced – works are expected to continue.
“The evidence to date indicates both the convoy and a car belonging to a contractor encountered an existing event, which did not directly target our contract personnel, nor the LNG project, nor airstrip,” Anadarko announced ( read the full statement below).
The company says that the Mozambican government “recognises security in the region requires additional attention and action” and that it “providing additional security resources in the area”.
“Given this response and other ongoing security measures, we expect to continue moving the project toward FID according to our current schedule,” it concluded.
Today’s communique, which the company says will be its final update on the matter, comes after it has “more fully assessed the Feb. 21 security event that occurred at a village on the road from Palma to Mocimboa da Praia approximately 20 kilometres away from the the site of its future LNG facility,” currently under construction.
The first attack was carried out by about 15 men dressed in black, who fired at the convoy of the oil company, intercepted on the road, causing non-lethal injuries to six workers.
In the second attack, on the same road, a Mozambican driver from the Portuguese company Gabriel Couto hired to construct an airstrip for the project was murdered.
These were the first attacks that affected the consortium led by Anadarko, two days after the company’s statement that it had been able to close sufficient gas supply contracts to formally announce the investment in exploration – expected to start producing liquefied gas in four to five years.
A company’s source told Lusa a month ago that the works were already being carried out under “enhanced security” following an attack on Maganja, a village a few kilometres distant from the construction zone, which was looted in an raid where one resident died and several houses were torched.
Since October 2017, between 100 and 150 people have been killed, including residents, alleged attackers and members of the security forces and, for the first time, a worker in the construction of the enterprise.
The wave of violence erupted after an armed attack on police stations in the village of Mocímboa da Praia by a group from a local mosque which preached insurgency against the state and whose habits had been causing friction beteween residents for two years.
7 a.m. CST
(March 5, 2019)
Anadarko today provided the following information regarding the Feb. 21 security event in Mozambique:
The safety, security and well-being of our people is always top priority. We have more fully assessed the Feb. 21 security event that occurred at a village on the road from Palma to Mocimboa da Praia approximately 20 kilometres away from the site of our future LNG facility. The evidence to date indicates both the convoy and a car belonging to a contractor encountered an existing event, which did not directly target our contract personnel, nor the LNG project, nor airstrip. As previously reported, there was one fatality and six people sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
The Mozambique Government recognises security in the region requires additional attention and action. Accordingly, the Government is providing additional security resources in the area. Given this response and other ongoing security measures, we expect to continue moving the project toward FID according to our current schedule.
This will be our final update on the Feb. 21 security event.
8 a.m. CST
(Feb. 22, 2019)
Anadarko today provided the following information regarding a security event in Mozambique:
It is our understanding there were two related attacks that occurred on the road from Mocimboa da Praia to Afungi at approximately 5 p.m. local time (9 a.m. Central) on Feb. 21. The attacks occurred approximately 20 kilometres from the construction site. The first involved a convoy where six contract personnel sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were either treated or are receiving treatment, and we have accounted for all personnel. Tragically, the second attack, which involved the firm contracted to construct an airstrip for the project, resulted in one fatality. We express our sincerest condolences and ask that any further inquiries about this second attack be directed to the contractor, Gabriel Couto.
The safety, security and well-being of our people is always the top priority, and therefore, the construction site remains on lockdown, and we will not discuss specific security measures. We are still working to gather information and continue to actively monitor the situation. We also remain in close contact with Government authorities to ensure appropriate measures are in place to protect our workforce. Until we have a full picture of yesterday’s events, it would be premature to comment further.Source: Lusa / Anadarko
Anadarko supports companies' certification - Mozambique
Triton signs MoU for Ancuabe development