EU ambassador optimistic about peace talks
File photo / Antonio Muchanga, Renamo's spokesman
Renamo is worried about “provocative violations of the declared truce” in Mozambique outlined on Friday 6 January 6 in a document sent to Lusa, but it has ruled out the end of the provisional ceasefire declared by the opposition leader, Afonso Dhlakama, the party’s spokesman said.
“This situation gives rise to some concern, but so far President Dhlakama has managed to hold his men,” said National Resistance Mozambican (Renamo) spokesperson António Muchanga, indicating that the two-month truce is not at risk.
The “provocations” concerned include homicide, abductions, robberies, intimidation and extortion, official source of the largest opposition party told Lusa.
“We have learned that there have been provocations in violation of the declared truce,” a Renamo document sent to Lusa on Frida, entitled “Taking stock of recent events in the country” declares. It concludes that “Government forces are not prepared to guarantee the 60 days of tranquillity”.
The document lists incidents in Tete, Manica and Sofala provinces in central Mozambique, just days after the announcement by Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama extending a one-week truce declared on December 27 for two more months following a telephone conversation with Mozambican president Filipe Nyusi.
“We regret that the Renamo leaders who should be monitoring the truce are forced into hiding because they are being threatened by Frelimo [Liberation Front of Mozambique, the party in power],” said the opposition party spokesman, adding that he hoped Afonso Dhlakama would continue “to exert his positive influence” in the negotiation process.
Muchanga appealed to the people involved in the incidents to “look within themselves and respect the Constitution, which never spoke of the Frelimo Political Committee”, hinting at ruling party actions intended to undermine the peace negotiations, in tandem with Defence and Security Forces and state media.
When contacted by Lusa, spokesman of the General Command of the Police of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) Inácio Dina said that he had “no record of such incidents” and that he would make an announcement the minute he had confirmation of any such occurrences.
Lusa also contacted provincial commanders mentioned in the document.
“We have no record of any incidents and, so far, the truce at provincial level is holding,” Lurdes Ferreira, PRM provincial command spokesman in Tete, said.
Likewise, Manica PRM spokesman Leonardo Colher said he was not aware of any occurrences, but that he would consult sources on the ground to update his information. At the time of going to press, Sofala PRM command had yet to respond.
Mozambique is experiencing a political and military crisis caused by Renamo’s refusal to accept the results of the 2014 general election.Source: Lusa