Mocimboa da Praia: Armed men given 7 days to hand themselves to police
The death toll in the Hulene dump collapse has risen to 16, with one of the deceased among the wounded, Mozambican civil protection sources have told Lusa.
“There are 16 confirmed dead in Maputo Central Hospital morgue” the National Institute of Disaster Management’s Fátima Belchior revealed.
One person missing and presumed dead was found by neighbours among the wounded, she added.
Twelve women and four men lost their lives in the collapse at the Hulene garbage dump, which buried shacks in the surrounding neighbourhood. Of the 16 victims, seven were children, Belchior said.
Authorities are offering shelter to 22 people who lost their homes and 22 other families whose homes were flooded by the heavy rain falling since Sunday night in the Maputo region.
Everybody had been moved from danger zones near other points at the dump that are in danger of collapsing, Belchior told Lusa. Civil protection services would remain on site to monitor the situation and ensure that no one returned to hazardous locations, she added.Source: Lusa