Seventy Mozambicans serving life sentences in South Africa
Eight of the 12 victims of the bus accident on Sunday afternoon in the Magombene region of Zavala district were buried in a common grave at the scene of the accident, after attempts to identify them proved fruitless.
Zavala’s administrator, Isaías Alberto Matavele, said that the other four bodies had been taken home for burial in Maputo, ai-Xai and Vilankulo.
The decision on burial in a common grave was arrived at by next of kin after the medical examiner sent there had reached the conclusion that the state of the bodies made them unidentifiable.
There will be a Mass in memory of the deceased for relatives on Saturday.
Zavala administrator Alberto Matavele said that efforts were being made to remove the burnt-out bus and clean up and disinfect the area.
Matavele dismissed suggestions of negligence on the part of the road traffic controllers in the district because, he explained, the bus driver, who was among the victims, was warned to slow down because the bus’s tyres were worn.
“The driver disobeyed the order. It is clear that the accident was a result of speeding. When a vehicle knocks down three eucalyptus trees and even the driver is thrown out of it, there is no doubt that there was a breach of the most elementary rules of the Highway Code, in this case, speeding,” Matavele said.
Meanwhile, Inhambane province governor Daniel Chapo ordered the Traffic Police and other institutions involved in traffic monitoring to tighten enforcement so that the province should not become a “death row”.
Chapo said that the inspectors should examine everything: observing speed limits, driver fatigue, the time of circulation of passengers transport and observing maximum passenger and cargo capacity.