New residential complex kicks off on Maputo's 130th birthday; by Turkey's Akay construction
A large fire broke out in an abandoned building on Avenida Eduardo Mondlane in Beira at around 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday 5 October.
According to the CRV news team on site, the fire, in a property in the care of the Administration of State Real Estate (APIE), may have been caused by an electrical fault.
Fire brigade personnel attending had to temporarily suspend attempts to extinguish the blaze when their fire tender ran out of water. While the CRV news team left the site at 5:15 p.m., another fire engine had just arrived. As far as is known, there were no casualties.
The two-storey property in question, made out of of timber and concrete, was already in an advanced state of dilapidation. The fire generated a huge column of smoke and set nearby trees alight.
Source: CRV Magzine