Mozambique falls 6 places in 2017 Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index
Reuters (File photo) / A Mozambican woman sits outside a makeshift shelter at Kapise camp in Malawi's Mwanza district.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation in Maputo on Monday confirmed that at least 6,000 Mozambicans who had fled the country to Malawi to escape last year’s skirmishes have returned to their areas of origin. This follows a return to peace after a deal between President Filipe Nyusi and Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama ended armed clashes between their troops which began in 2013.
In a statement to APA, the ministry says the 6,000 refugees returned to the administrative post of Nkondezi, Moatize district, in the central province of Tete.
Nkondezi region is near the border with Malawi.
“The Mozambican government is supporting the returnees with food, utensils and material for agriculture,” the statement read in part.
As far as agriculture is concerned, citizens are being supported by improved seeds so that they can continue their farming activities.
The statement says government officials are also carrying out awareness campaigns to make people feel free and move freely in areas that have already been the scene of military confrontations.
“Many people are able to walk freely, but they are still afraid of what has happened,” the statement added.
In January this year refugees said they fled renewed fighting between Frelimo government forces and Renamo guerrillas in an escalation of a simmering conflict between old foes who fought a civil war that ended in 1992.
The refugees said the ruling Frelimo forces were burning homes and killing civilians, charges denied by the government.Source: APA
Stock of medicines in Maputo enough until year end
Youth Innovate for SDGs: One innovative African will win $750
USAID for Mozambican autonomy
Social Welfare Ministry must be aware of costs - Nyusi
Graça Machel among 100 Most Reputable People on Earth
Vale announces Mozambique's record results