Mozambique: Three new judges take office
Since October 2015 there have been 107 Renamo attacks, in which 40 people died and 79 had been seriously injured. By province, there were 56 in Sofala, 21 in Manica, 11 in Tete, 8 in Zambezia, 6 in Inhambane, 3 in Nampula and 2 in Gaza, according to Agostinho Vuma, a Frelimo MP and a senior figure in the Confederation of Mozambican Business Associations (CTA), speaking in parliament 23 June.
Education Minister Jorge Ferrao said Friday 24 June that 52 schools are closed due to Renamo military action in Barue, Mossurize and Manica districts in Manica province, affecting 22,000 pupils. The spokesperson of the Frelimo parliamentary group, Edmundo Galiza-Maros Junior, said the latest Renamo attack was on 22 June when Renamo killed a local Frelimo secretary in Mossurize, Manica. (AIM En 22, 23 June, AIM Pt 25 June)
On 20 June, two Malawian fuel trucks travelling in the N7 convoy between Changara and Vanduzi were hit by Renamo gunfire; there were no injuries and the convoy did not stop. Voice of America journalists witnessed the attack and said two trucks with Malawian number plates were targeted. On 21 June suspected Renamo gunmen stopped two civilian vehicles in Cheringoma, Sofala, and robbed the occupants of mobile phones, clothing, documents and computers. Also on 21 June a second Renamo office in Beira was burned down. (Rhula from Folha de Maputo, VOA Pt and Deutsche Welle)
Deutsche Welle (Pt 14 June) reports that in late May in Vunduzi, Gorongosa, “in the village of Mucodza, two people over 70 years were forced to guide government troops to Renamo bases along the mountain range and indicate who were the Renamo guerrillas in that town. After two days without having found the alleged bases of Renamo, the elderly men were tortured and held captive until they revealed the location of bases. One of them was shot in the right arm, trying to escape. Their houses were burned down.”
By: Joseph Hanlon